[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Flight 800 and meteors

I am taking the liberty of posting a note I sent to Lloyd Mielke yesterday,
now that more discussion has appeared on the list.

>Lloyd,
>
>I read your story on icstars.  I am wondering how the 9-mile altitude for
the meteor was determined.  One observer  can't find a true altitude of a
glowing object at night due to no depth perception.  It takes two observers
and trigonometry to accomplish this.

>The dogged determination of James Sanders to get the truth out by thorough
documentation is his qualification to pass judgement.  He isn't claiming a
missile; he showed a large amount of documented evidence that shows a
missile is the only logical explanation.  As his wife is a TWA employee,  he
had the motivation to do it.

>The less-than-sterling conduct of the FBI in other major events this decade
has eliminated my confidence in their ability to provide truthful analysis.
The quicker they are to discount something, the faster you need to look at
it closely.   The strongest evidence Mr. Sanders had was the bits of seat
material with the missile exhaust embedded.  The fact that this evidence was
physically taken away, along with all other incriminating debris, points
directly at a coverup. The government will never admit wrongdoing.

>Somebody on Long Island obtained a photo of a missile while facing south;
on the photo it is traveling rightward.  Therefore the missile came from the
east somewhere.  The meteor you described came from the SW.

>Nobody has given an astronomical description of the flying object, nor has
anyone mentioned curvature of the path.  The latter should have been visible
to some of the observers as the missile did its right turn.   I have been
under the impression a good many of the observers actually saw the object
hit the plane, but none has mentioned it continuing on beyond the plane.
This contradicts the theory of a darkened meteor hitting it.

>A meteor hit on a tank , I am sure, would be enough to cause an explosion,
but I doubt if it would still be hot at only 2 miles altitude.  Just the
impact should suffice.  The general public doesn't know a thing about how
meteors work.  If a fireball is seen at a low elevation or reaching the
horizon, the universal assumption is that it landed a mile or so away and
will start a fire.  It would actually be a couple hundred miles away and
more than 20 miles high.  One fireball in 1973 over Florida we triangulated
at an endpoint of only 14 miles, unusually low.

>Well, these are more of my thoughts.  We likely will have to disagree on
the outcome.

>Regards,
>
>Norman

P.S.  Wouldn't a hit by a meteor have been through the top of the plane?
The actual impact sites, entering and exiting, were on the sides.
Norman W. McLeod III
Visual Program Coordinator
American Meteor Society

Fort Myers, Florida