[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fwd: Re: (meteorobs) Flt 800 meteor

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	mike@cintos.com (Michael Davias)
To:	Hormesis2@aol.com
Date: 97-07-12 17:28:55 EDT

Greetings Lloyd:

><< A meteor seen 15 seconds before the explosion would be an extremely long
>one; besides, they turn nonluminous below about 20 miles altitude due to
>deceleration in the atmosphere, thus ending the ablation process. >>
>
>Norm:
>The way I understand it the witness saw the meteor about 15 seconds before
he
>saw the aircraft turn into a fireball. In my opinion it would take about 15
>seconds for hot meteor to work its way in the fuel tank area before you
would
>see the aircraft explode into a fireball.

Our working scenario is that the bolide did occur high above Flight 800,
sending a spray of meteorites - fragments - which quickly drop below
luminosity while continuing ahead at (initially) 7km/sec..  This is the
MOST common meteorite production sequence.  This scenario has historically
generated an elliptical strewn field of hundreds or thousands of meteorites
ranging from grams to hundreds of kilograms.

The timing of most witnesses refer to a "moment" of quite in the sky.  3
sec - 5 sec .  So the delay is quite understandable - predictable - that a
moment would pass prior to the impact on Flight 800 of ONE of these
meteorites.  Depending on the viewer's attention and visibility (visibility
in the evening sky was 8 miles, according to the FAA aviation advisory) ,
the fire on the aircraft may have taken 5 to 10 seconds to become bright
enough to be seen from the shoreline.

Our working scenario has the impacting meteorite slowing to a velocity
within the range of 600 meters/sec to  2000 meters/sec by the time it
reaches the aircraft.  According to an analysis of the trajectory, this is
a very plausible velocity range for the 4.5 kilometer altitude that Flight
800 was operating at.  Then density of the atmosphere is just over 50% of
sea level up there.  All of the falling meteorites most certainly reached
terminal velocity before striking the ocean surface 3 to 6 KM offshore.

Some of the heavier objects produced (again predictably) the multiple sonic
booms heard along the shoreline.  There is no other valid explanation for
these sonic booms - they arrived to early to have come from the fireball
and they are much too forceful to have been generated by a low-velocity
fuel burn.  The NTSB understands that the plane could not have generated
these - so they simply dismiss the eyewitnesses.  On the other hand, the
FBI marries the booms with the high intensity flashes seen by the DOD's DSP
satellite and conclude there was a bomb or missile explosion.

>I am under the impression that the bolide was estimated to be about 9 miles
>high. Some people saw the bolide. Most I guess just saw the streak. The fact
>is over 100 people saw this streak in the sky.   I believe some others  saw
>it hit the aircraft.
>I am 100% positive these people saw a meteor not a missile.

Keep hammering at them, Lloyd.  I just can't see why they don't predict the
scenario using their own knowledge of meteorites.  Perhaps you can feed
back the text above.

Your mail from Paul was great!  I have his name as "Angelides" , BTW.

best wishes

Michael E. Davias                             mike@cintos.com
146 High St. #304                         Milford, CT 06460

   "It is a characteristic conceit of our species to put a
    human face on random cosmic violence."     -  Sagan
   "Improbable as it is, all other explanations are more
     improbable still."                                     -  Holmes
    "What can be done with fewer
               ...is done in vain with more."          - Ockham