[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) TWA800 and meteors

Lloyd wrote:

>Regarding your comment about a meteor glowing  3 miles up. How has meteor
>watchers gauged height before. Do they run and get transit. The aircraft in
>this instance was around 13,000 ft. The witnesses saw a streak of light at
>that altitude. What was the light they saw ??

In earlier days plotting of the same meteor against the background stars by
two observers in separate locations indicated the meteor altitude is roughly
50 miles.  Fireballs would, of course, come lower.  Plotting is notoriously
inaccurate, so photography is the way to go.  There are several groups
engaged in this work today, with interest primarily in the brightest meteors.

>Regarding discounting the  missile. I guess the FBI came to that conclusion.

That happened almost immediately.  Why the vehement denials about it to this
day?  George Zay said the same thing I did in different words : experienced
observers know what meteors look like, and this object definitely does not
sound like a meteor.  If the numerous observers were used, triangulation
should show immediately that the entire event took place at very low
elevation, not in the region where meteors occur.

Norman