[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Flight 800 and meteors

<<  a meteor glowing hot at 3 miles up, >>>

GeoZay

Thanks for the helpful Info. I need all the help I can get.

I stand corrected.  The model shows the bolide happening 3 seconds prior to
impact. During the intervening three seconds the meteorite traveled 5 - 10
kilometers in dark-body flight..

Also the proposed intitial mass is 2000 kg and the fragment stricking the
aircraft is 25 to 250 kg.

Geo:
In your opinion and under the above conditions would it be possible for the
meteorite to be hot enough to ignite fuel. It wouldn't have to be

Lloyd Mielke, Kansas City, MO

P.S. In the Ripley-Believe- it-or Not museum in Branson, Missouri they have a
story a meteor hitting a sailing ship called the Bark Scorpion on the high
seas.. It  seems the meteor knocked off the mast and sails. The crew jumped
overboard and  three managed to save themselves. The hull was OK. Another
good example about jumping to conclusions.