[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Flight 800 and meteors

Lloyd>> I stand corrected.  The model shows the bolide happening 3 seconds
prior to impact. During the intervening three seconds the meteorite traveled
5 - 10
 kilometers in dark-body flight..<<

If a meteorite was in dark body flight..dot it would seem that it would have to
be traveling far slower than what you indicate here. 3 seconds is a very
short time for it to cover 5 to 10 kilometers at this stage of flight for a
relatively small object (25 to 250kg). At this stage, I would guestimate a
speed of around 400 mph at best. At that approximate speed, it would have
traveled about .11 miles in a second....thus in 3 seconds you are only
looking at a distance in the neighborhood of about three tenths of a mile. I
basically rounded off in my figuring here...but I think it's close enough to
get the picture?

 Lloyd>>Also the proposed intitial mass is 2000 kg and the fragment stricking
the
 aircraft is 25 to 250 kg.
 Geo:
 In your opinion and under the above conditions would it be possible for the
 meteorite to be hot enough to ignite fuel.

In my opinion ....no way!
GeoZay