[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: July meteors

The date of July 12/13 I gave for my last night of observing was incorrect ;
it should have been July 11/12.  I observed on 2 consecutive nights.  Been
clouded out since then.  The final hour this morning was clear in town but I
didn't use it.  Sky here was LM5.5.

From George:

>End of July Major Meteor Shower Activity
>
>SOUTH DELTA AQUARIDS -

>best when photographing. Max: Jul 27/28 at 00hr UT; Hourly rates:
>20; Vel. 41 km/s(Fast); Duration: July 12-Aug 19; Population Index:
>3.2; Radiant Diameter: 5 degrees; Train Production: 6.3%; Radiant:
>RA 22h36m, Dec -16; Three Letter Shower Code: SDA

Every year that I saw the South Deltas from 1976 on had a definite maximum
on July 29/30.  Historically I first learned the max date as July 28/29, and
that held up well in my observing before 1976.  It's been several years
since I last saw this one --  maybe this year?

Norman