[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Upsilon Pegasids anyone? (Really: non-IMO shower velocities)

Lew asked:

>So my first question: what's the apparent velocity of the UPEs (i.e., what do
>the reports of "swift" meteors mean, exactly)? Second question: from what
>source can I find such details in future for OTHER non-IMO showers? Thanks!

Lew, I don't know how accurate this is (I didn't have time to check more
recent figures), but according to H. Povenmire (1980): "The apparent
velocity is slower than that of the Perseids and faster than that of the
Delta Aquarids. The range was estimated at 50-52 km/sec. The figure of 51.0
km/sec appears to be correct."

I don't really know of any 'one source' for non-IMO showers. I use several,
and am always on the lookout for more to add to my pile. My suggestion would
be to post questions about a specific shower here to meteorobs.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO Meteors Section
Visit the NAMN home page at:
	http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html