[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: color of meteor

Lloyd,

I have never seen a daylight meteor in 37 years of observing.  This only
means I have been very unlucky.  There are a good number of them reported
every year, two from Canada just this past week.

No inference as to the identity of an object can be made using color alone,
for different people perceive colors differently.  My reference to an Atlas
is for appearance only, not actual size of object.  The descriptions of an
Atlas vs. the present object just struck me in their similarity.  I recall
the Atlas was around magnitude  -1 (red-orange with long white tail)  and
perhaps 60 miles high when it came into view from 160 miles south of Cape
Canaveral.

Paul reported seeing it at 50 degrees elevation from Long Island.  This
should be plenty high enough to not distort the color due to atmospheric
haze or smoke.  July 17 was reported as a clear night.  Below 10 degrees I
would expect color alteration to be noticeable; higher than that on a very
hazy night.  I see the rising/setting moon as orange during such occasions.
Car headlights I have indeed noticed as you described.

Regards,

Norman