>Date: 	Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:07:52 -0300
>From: Michael Boschat <andromed@atm.daldot ca>
>Subject: RASC List:  [vsnet-chat 465] C/1997 O1 (comet Tilbrook) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:35:54 -0300
From: Anthony Beresford <starman@CAMTECHdot net.AU>
To: astro@brickbat12.mindspring.com
Subject: [ASTRO] New Comet

The IAU has just announced(circ 6705) that comet 1997O1 is confirmed.
It was noticed by Justin Tilbrook , a member of my local
astronomy club while doing variable star observations, and
confirmed by Gordon Garrard , who captured it on CCD images.
Justin lives in the Clare valley, a wine-growing district some
120 km north of Adelaide.
The comet is moving 3-4 arc minutes an hour , not 4 degrees/hour
It is mag 10 or so, has a 2 arc minute coma and no tail [in 30
second exposure CCD image on a 0.25 f/4 telescope]
Last position from Gordon was(epoch 2000):-
Time UT July 23.46876
RA   12 20 49.36
Dec  -18 04 12.9
Tony Beresford