[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) July 28 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

I observed for 3.5 hours this morning from the Descanso Observatory. I
counted 92 meteors which proved to be a satisfying despite light from
the waning crescent moon. Distant hills blocked the moon until 2:20am.
It also happened to rise near a tall tree on the property and was
blocked for another half hour before becoming a big nuisance. I tried a
different tactic tonight of plotting all of the sporadics I could and
then taping the data. Shower meteors were not plotted since their
radiants are already fairly well known.  It was interesting though with
the Piscis Austrinids, the IMO chart indicates the radiant lies just
west of Fomalhaut on 7/28 and tonights radiant appeared to be just east
of Fomalhaut. The South Delta Aquarids produced the most activity
followed closely by the Perseids. No shower was as strong as the
sporadic background. The highlight of the night was a -3 sporadic from
Cetus that shot overhead for 20 degrees and left a 6 second train.

0830-0930 UT   .98   6.32   3 CAP   5 PER   4 SDA   3 SIA   10 SPO
25 TOTAL

0930-1030 UT   .96   6.34   3 CAP   3 PAU   3 PER   5  SDA   2 SIA
11 SPO   27 TOTAL

1030-1130 UT   .97   6.11   1 CAP   1 NDA   5 PER   7 SDA   14 SPO
28 TOTAL

1130-1200 UT   .49   5.57   1 CAP   1 NDA   1 PAU   1 PER   2 SDA   6
SPO   12 TOTAL

TeFF reduction: 15 sec per plot.

I was facing South at an elevation of 70 degrees. It was clear the
entire night.

I forgot my thermometer but I would guess that both the temperature and
relative humidity were near 50.

Bob Lunsford