[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) More info

At 11:29 AM 7/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, does anybody knwo where I can get some how to info on recording meteors?

Hi Alex,

There are actually a couple sources of good information. The North American
Meteor Network (NAMN), sponsor of this mail list, was created in 1995 to
coordinate the observations of amateur meteor observers. From that
beginning, it has expanded to include programs of recruiting new observers
and providing guidance and instructions on how to carry out programs of
meteor observing that insure data is collected in a scientifically useful
manner.

We produce a newsletter which is made available to all members free of charge.
Additionally, we have a Guide to Meteor Observing that is also made
available free. The NAMN has no dues and operates as an informal group of
observers.

We support the work of both the Meteors Section of the Association of Lunar
& Planetary Observers (ALPO) and the International Meteor Organization
(IMO). The NAMN has formed what is called a "partnership" with these two
organizations. All of the data we collect is provided to them to insure the
work of our members receive the widest possible dissemination. This makes
our contributions available worldwide.

Introductory information on meteor observing is contained in the NAMN Guide.
It is written in ASCII Text and is about 60 printed pages in length. The
Guide contains all the information needed to get started observing meteors
with NAMN, and includes reporting forms that can be submitted
electronically. I can send you a copy if you wish. NAMN also has a www
homepage...the URL to the home page is listed below as part of my signature.

Another excellent source of information is the homepage of the International
Meteor Organization (IMO). The URL to their site is:    http://www.imodot net/
The N. American Coordinator for IMO is Bob Lunsford who is a frequent
contributor to this list. In the meantime, if you would like to contact him
his email address is:  lunro.imo.usa@prodigy.com

Let me know if I can help you further.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO Meteors Section
Visit the NAMN home page at:
	http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html