[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Observ. Aug 3/4 ZAYGE

Meteor Observations for Aug 3/4, 1997...GeoZay

Last night I recorded meteor activity under clear skies with an LM near 5.9
for 4.5 hours. I started at 7h04UT(midnight 4 min. PDT) and ended at 11h45 UT
(4h45 am PDT). It was quite warm last night..dot it apparently got no lower than
about 67 deg F. This no doubt brought out a new breed of mosquitos..dot called
Stealth Mosquitos. Anyhow, I didn't see or hear any all night...but I got
several bites on my feet and hands...most likely occurred in the early
evening during my pre observing nap . I guess my socks were a little too
thin. I looked in the medicine cabinet this morning and it appears that my
wife took the bug bite stuff on her back packing trip...the only thing she
left was the Preparation "H"...but that's not what's bugging me at the
moment. Anyhow...on to the meteor activity...the brightest was a -3 possible
S. Delta Aquairid..dot it could also have been a Piscis Austrinid..dot it kinda
lined up with both if you consider being slightly off. I think I have it
photographed...will check on that shortly. Acitivity seems to be essentially
the same as it has been the last three nights. I recorded a total of 79
meteors during 4.5 hours of observing. The shower break down is as follows:

S. Delta Aquarids = 9
N. Delta Aquarids = 8
Perseids = 25
alpha Capricornids = 3
S Iota Aquarids = 2
kappa Cygnids = 0
Piscis Austrinids = 2
Sporadics = 29

Observing Periods:
7h05-8h06 = 3SDA, 4NDA, 2PER, 0CAP, 0SIA, 0KCG, 1PAU, 5 Spor.
Teff = 1 hour
8h06-9h09 = 2SDA, 0NDA, 9PER, 3CAP, 0SIA, 0KCG, 0PAU, 7 Spor.
Teff = 1 hour
9h09-10h12 = 1SDA, 3NDA, 4PER, 0CAP, 0SIA, 0KCG, 1PAU, 8 Spor.
Teff = 1hour
10h12-11h45 = 3SDA, 1NDA, 10PER, 0CAP, 2SIA, 0KCG, 9 Spor
Teff = 1.5 hours
George Zay