[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Question - Photographed Meteors

<<
 > From: GeoZay@aol.com
 > Well...I just developed my first roll of film that covered 4 nights of
 > observing meteors this past week.  I used a 28mm lens at f/2.8, a rotating
 > shutter and guided.

 Gregg>>George, what ASA (ISO) was the film, and what was your exposure
 length?  I'm planning on taking guided pictures for the first time
 for this year's Perseids, if I can get the machining finished for my
 barn-door drive.  In the past I've taken unguided pictures with ASA
 1600 film at an exposure length of 5-10 minutes.  I seem to average
 2-3 meteors per 36 exposures.<<

Gregg...I use black and white film HP-5 and develop it for ASA 3200. My
exposure times is approximately near 30 minutes per frame...unless I get an
apparent bright meteor within my camera's field of view....that is a -1 or
brighter....then I try to stop it with an exposure of about 15 or 20
minutes...this usually gives me very good pinpoint star images. If a bright
meteor appears between the 15 and 30 minute period of the exposure....I try
to stop it as soon as I can.

I don't use a barn door drive...I have a battery powered gizmo that tracks
quite nicely without much attention...except for quick polar alignment after
each exposure...which is simple to do.
George