[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observ. Aug 5/6 ZAYGE

My Meteor Observations for Aug 5/6, 1997 George Zay

Well...using a different tape recorder other than the one that failed me with
obtaining yesterdays data, I successfully got some good info tonight.
Starting at 7h04 UT(midnight 4mins Pacific Daylight time), I observed under
clear skies for 4.5 hours with a Limiting Sky Magnitude near 6.0 all night.
It was quite obvious that Perseid activity is now on the upswing compared to
the last several nights. I recorded a total of 109 meteors of which 46 were
Perseids. Lunsford and I were treated to a brilliant    -10 Perseid fireball
low on the horizon...unfortunately below my camera. I counted a 17 second
train and Bob counted 22 seconds. It was just about behind us...the lighting
up of the trees in front is what got our necks to do what that girl did in
the Exorcist movie years ago. It was definitely a brilliant orange...my guess
is that if somebody has survived yesterdays 123 degrees F. temperatures in
the Death Valley region, they might have gotten a real eye opener since it
was a -10 at about 15 degrees above the horizon. I might have caught on film
a -2 sporadic and a -1 Perseid...won't know until I develop the film. My
shower break down is as follows:

S. Delta Aquarids = 4
N. Delta Aquarids = 9
Perseids = 46
S. Iota Aquarids = 4
Piscis Austrinids = 2
Kappa Cygnids = 0
alpha Capricornids = 3
Sporadics = 41

Hourly activity in Universal Time:
7h04-8h08 = 0SDA, 1NDA, 8PER, 0SIA, 0PAU, 0KCG, 2CAP, 5Spor
Teff hours = 1.0
8h08-9h10 = 2SDA, 3NDA, 11PER, 1SIA, 0PAU, 0KCG, 0CAP, 11spor
Teff hours = 1.0
9h10-10h12 = 1SDA, 1NDA, 11PER, 2SIA, 2PAU, 0KCG, 1CAP, 7Spor
Teff hours = 1.0
10h12-11h14 = 0SDA, 3NDA, 11PER, 1SIA, 0PAU, 0KCG, 1CAP, 10 Spor
Teff hours = 1.0
11h14-11h52 = 1SDA, 1NDA, 6PER, 0SIA, 0PAU, 0KCG, 0CAP, 8Spor
Teff hours = 0.75