[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Caroline Shoemaker

This message  appeared on the Starbase One Bulletin Board

 BBS: Starbase One
Date: 08-04-97 (19:59)
From: BAALKE@KELVIN.JPL.NASA.GO
  To: ALL
Subj: Message From Carolyn Shoe

Forwarded from Virginia Keiper, USGS
vkeiper@flagmail.wr.usgsdot gov

                         Update on August 4, 9:00 am

Dear Friends, old and new, all special people,

My children and I want to thank you for all your outpouring of love and
support since Gene's death. To know Gene was loved, liked, admired, and
respected by so many people has helped to sustain us in this very difficult
time. Gene would have been so pleased to know you cared. The concern people
have shown for me has been comforting and I am happy to report that I am
recovering quite well and hope to be returning to Flagstaff soon. I was
fortunate to have all my children (including my in-law children) and two
Australian friends arrive very promptly in Alice Springs. New friends in
Alice Springs opened their doors to all of them and then to me when I left
the hospital. Everyone has been very helpful in taking care of the
necessary
details that needed to be addressed after the accident and this has allowed
me to focus on my own recovery. My children and I have also had time to
reflect on our loss together and to think about it in the perspective Gene
would have wished.

Gene and I were traveling on the Tanami Track in Northern Territory close
the Western Australia border when the no-fault accident occurred. We were
meet Dan Milton in a few days to help field check the geology and mapping
of
Goat Paddock, an impact structure. The accident occurred on one of the few
bends in the road where you could not see another vehicle coming. It was an
unlikely place considering all the places we have traveled, yet it was a
blind curve on a very rough track. There is no question that Gene died
immediately in the vehicle on impact. It was my good fortune that it
happened where it did, because help was quick to come from the gold mines
in
the area. In four hours time the Royal Flying Doctors had transported me
back to the emergency ward in Alice Springs. I owe a special thank you to
everyone who helped to save my life and the superb care I received at the
hospital. It is remarkable I survived at all considering that mostly what
was left of our vehicle was the bed of the truck.

Although the death of Gene is still a shock and a great loss to us all,
Gene
would have felt it was a good way to go. He was out doing something he
loved
away from all the pressures of the world, in a country he loved, with the
woman who had been his life partner for 46 years, and he died quickly. We
had both talked about how, if our lives were to end, we had lived very
fulfilling lives. We had wonderful children and a close knit family. Our
scientific careers have been extremely rewarding. We were blessed with
having numerous friends in our lifetime. And, most of all, we had a
marriage
in which our love for each other knew no boundaries.

Gene said a few years ago he would never be able to complete the many
projects he had going. He said it would be up to others to pick up where he
left off. He never felt he had all the answers, but he had complete faith
that there were others who were capable to come along and follow in his
footsteps. Gene would have said, "Don't grieve for me. Get on with life and
work at the things that make you happy!" We hope you all will be inspired
do that.

Love,

Carolyn