[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) unusual meteor(?) sighting Aug. 6, 1997

I already (at 7 am our time) have two reports of an interesting event
(although times seem somewhat different if the same event) last night.  I
suspect that a number more will come in soon. While the reports so far are
from the US, one is from Maine so it was probably visible from part of
Canada.  The description of the event (as per MIAC/CCMI fireball practice,
identifying information on observers is deleted from public postings, but
is available to those with a substantiated need at the fireball reporting
centre) is as follows:

     " I sighted an unusual meteor at approximately 1000 EDT on 6 Aug
1997 in New Sweden, ME (approx. 46 deg. 57 min. N., 68 deg. 08.5 min. W).
Meteor was first noted bearing approx. 080 true, elevation approx. 45
deg. and was tracked for approx. 5 seconds duration, disappearing at a
bearing of approx. 330 true, elevation approx 30 deg.
        The meteor was not, repeat not, typical of stony or nickle-iron
meteors or previously observed space junk re-entering.
        From initial sighting meteor appeared as a soft but
moderately bright light-blue sphere of light surrounded by a paler
nebulous whitish cloud twice the size of the blue sphere.  The hazy cloud
was approx. 1/3 to 1/2 the diameter of the full moon (the crescent moon
had already set).  Neither the blue glow nor the hazy white cloud had the
sharp texture of normal meteors: it did not have the hot orange-white
appearance of stony meteors nor the hot green/blue-white appearance of
nickle-iron meteors.  Both the blue sphere and hazy white cloud
`appeared' cooler.
        The meteor left behind a trail which appeared more like an
twin engine aircraft's condensation trail than it did a smoke trail.
This trail grew wider with time, becoming at least twice the width of the
hazy cloud.  It persisted for several seconds, giving the meteor the
appearance of a comet 30 to 45 arc degrees length.  Immediately behind
the meteor this tail appeared almost to be twin tails before merging into
a single tail.
        At the end of the sighting both the blue sphere and the hazy
white cloud abruptly abruptly vanished, and I think I was able to see a
very weakly glowing orange speck continuing on the meteor's trajectory
for a fraction of a second longer."

"The Missouri report (submitted on our system) was from Louisiana  Missour
about 75  N. of  St. Louis.  It gives an altitude of roughly 65 with
unknown azimuth for the beginning, and an altitude of 27 deg with an
azimuth of 300 degrees for the ending.
brighter than moon, green  in color
light >1sec., Smoke 5+ minutes
almost fast
Green - White in color, no fragments, hit twice, like bright dim and bright
again and then out, ended  about 27* in NNW diriction from Louisiana, MO.
Two smoke clouds remained naked eye visible for more than 5 minutes..
if the train is smoke, yes  300 plus sec.
No sound."

If anyone knows what this is (some sort of upper atmosphere experiment?)
please let me know, so I can respond to those who report it.

Bob Hawkes
rhawkes@mtadot ca