[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseid data 6/7 Aug & Mir-Progress rendezvous observed

Night report Marco Langbroek, August 6/7

Good Morning,

Finally relieved from my study duties, I conducted my forst observations
since the night of July 27/28. It was a good night, nice meteors though not
particularly bright at our site. Clear and dark sky, Lm around +6.8. Below
my observational data.

We had something special in evening twilight. The Russian Mir space-station
crossed over with magnitude -1 brightness in a star-spangled sky, but the
special thing was that it was immediately followed by a fainter speck
(~mag. 2-3) at about seven degrees distance: the progress module heading
for a rendezvous with the space-platform to deliver the repair crew! The
sight was rather special indeed: 'life' spaceflight manouvring right before
your eyes. Couldn't help hearing some vague songlines of David Bowie in the
back of my mind when spotting this unique sight.

Stations in the western Netherlands and Belgium report a long duration -3
event (6 seconds) that might have been a satellite decay. Neither us in the
center of the country nor the stations in the eastern Netherlands saw it,
it was probably too low for us.

Best wishes and see you later on the net,

Marco Langbroek
DMS team Delphinus
The Netherlands

Observer: Marco Langbroek (LANMA - MLV)
Location: Biddinghuizen, the Netherlands, 5d 41' E, 52d 29' N
Date: August 6/7, 1997

UT		Teff	Lm	Per	dAqr	iAqr	Cap	Cyg	Spo

21:18 - 22:36	1.45	6.8	11	2	1	0	2	18
22:36 - 23:40	0.88	6.8	11	4	1	3	1	14
23:40 - 01:16	1.43	6.8	22	4	2	1	1	25
01:57 - 02:18	0.33	6.3	5	1	0	0	0	5

TOTAL		4.09	<6.8>	49	11	4	4	4	62      134

stream		0	+1	+2	+3	+4	+5	+6	N

Sporadics	2	1	4	16	17	16	6	62
Perseids		3	6	11	7	14	6	2	49
d Aquarids	0	0	1	3	4	2	0	11
i Aquarids	0	0	2	1	1	0	0	4
Capricornids	0	0	0	1	2	1	0	4
k Cygnids	0	0	1	1	2	0	0	4

Note: nice clear dark sky.

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm