[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Possible Meteorite Found!!!

At 20:20 02-08-97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have found, possibly, a meteorite.  It has stress lines, quartz,
>and is slightly heavier than a terrestial rock of a similar size, but
>strangely, it isn't magnetic.  Who could I send it to who could
>perform tests on it or is there stuff I can do at home?
>
>Please Help,
>
>Jonathan

Concerning the magnetic properties of meteorites: most stony meteorites
(and of course irons) are magnetic, but with stony's it might be rather
weak. So how did you test it: if you just put a (large) magnet near it, you
might not feel it getting attracted.

A better way is to tie a small but strong magnet to a rope and move it
closely towards the stone. Also with weak iron content, the magnetic
properties are more easily visible because the roped-magnet gets slightly
attracted. This method is much more sensitive than a handheld magnet. My
piece of Mbale, which is a true chondrite (L6), only shows magnetic
sensitivity in this way.

Most ordinary chondrites not only have chondrules, but also small
nickel-iron specks and troilite inclusions that are visible as shiny specks
on a fresh interior surface.

Chondrules are best to see with a good geologist magnifying glass: rounded
smooth inclusions with not necessarily a glassy, sometimes a more smooth
stony appearance.

For those of you who are able to read German by coincidence, Rolf Buhler's
'Meteorite, urmaterie aus dem interplanertaren raum' (Birkhauser verlag,
Basel) is very valuable guide.

-Marco

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm