[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: "Meteor" Obser. Aug 6/7 ZAYGE

At 21:04 07-08-97 -0400, you wrote:

-------------
>Norman,
>There seems to be always clouds coming up that direction this time of
>year...usually though when they hit the mountains they stop and kinda linger
>over the desert and the eastern side of the local mountain range....this
>morning they kept coming. The local forecast was for clear skies over the
>mountains with fog and low clouds forming over the coast...which is quite
>typical. I usually just look at the pictures from the weather channel and the
>local forecasts in the news and newspaper...and then formulate my own
>opinion....and on some iffy nights...I just gamble and take my chances...like
>what I'm doing tonight..dot it doesn't look all that favorable right now...but
>I'll be out there and see how things develop....If you're not out there to
>begin with...you stand no chance at all....
>George

Hello George and Norman,

Yup, I agree with George. Weather can allways surprise you. During the
Lyrids of 1995 we really thought we had no chance, so we stayed home. Just
to find that it cleared at 24 PM. Had my observations though, but from my
urban Voorschoiten instead of dark polders of Biddinghuizen. Some of our
most satisfying observing campaigns were those where we were succesfull
against all odds concerning weather forecasts/situation. E.g. Leonids 1996.
So we do look satellite images and get desperate once in a while (and
sometimes this results in us taking a car and drive 500 km or so), but
unless the situation seems really dire straits, we always go to the
observing ground. Recommend that to anyone.

-Marco.
Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm