[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Computer Recording

At 16:53 07-08-97 -0400, you wrote:

><< I think we should update the methods to include
> computer logging with the time stamped from the computer.
>  I do it and have on a basic level 2 keys set aside for
> Persieds or Non-Perseids. with a red gel over the screen.
>  ANd an extension cord this works very well.
>  The time is set by WWF on the internal clock.
>  Comments anyone?
> Dr. Louis S. Binder
> Fort Bend Astronomy Club
>
>  >>
>---------------
>Do you enter the meteor's magnitudes? or members of other showers other than
>Perseids and sporadics...such as the S. Delta Aquarids, N. Delta Aquarids,
>Capricornids, S. Iota Aquarids, Kappa Cygnids and the Piscis Austrinids...all
>somewhat active during Perseid activity? Do you enter persistent train
>durations?...Color? Do you enter dead time from moments that you might have
>to turn away and attend a camera?
>George Zay

One of our teams tried a similar approach back in 1989. Failed for exactly
the reasons George outlined above. Basicly, you want to record much more
information than is simple to do with a keyboard. In our case, since we run
multistation (= simultanious) photographic campaigns for orbit detection
too, we also have to include data about possible photographic meteors such
as exact locations etc. Just speaking it into a mike is much less
cumbersome, more effective and costs you less meteors. I am sorry, but
that is just our opinion. But I agree that meteor observers sometimes might
be a little bit traditional. I know a Dutch-born observer in California who
still refuses to work with a recorder and uses pen and pencil even during a
ZHR=500 alfa Monocerotid outburst.
In no way I want to deny your efforts by the way. I think it is good that
people experiment with new techniques. So go on, it is usefull . It is this
kind of experimenting that makes progress possible.

-Marco
(Dutch Meteor Society)

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm