[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Those pesky path lengths (was Re: OBSERVATIO...

>Of course, if a meteor is MUCH BRIGHTER than the current LM, can this
>really be true?? I'm guessing there must be SOME lower limit to path
>lengths for shower ID... Otherwise, a nearly-stationary meteor anywhere in
>the sky could be identified as a shower member, if it pointed in the right
>direction: Nonsense!

	Indeed. But what provide the deliminator here is the speed. A near
stationary meteor 45 degrees from the Perseid radiant cannot be a Perseid.
At that distance it should be flying!  4 or 5 on the NAMN scale.
	I would say by the way, that last year my Perseid associations were a
bit too tight, leading to a shift of some of my Perseid count to
sporadics.(Maybe 5-10%)
Of course, the first time observers who didn't know as much did fine, since
to them anything close was a Perseid! Which is not too far from the truth
on the peak night ('specially this year I hope). A little knowledge is a
dangerous thing ;->

Wayne, life-long learner II
If you ain't learnin' you ain't livin'!!