[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseid data August 8/9 LANMA

night report August 8/9  Marco Langbroek, the Netherlands

Good morning again,

Below my data from last night. This was a very nice night indeed, with a
very clear sky especially during the second part of observations. The
Perseids have now reached a quite attractive level of activity and several
bright ones per night can now be seen. The delta Aquarids still have a nice
activity too, while the kappa Cygnid activity seems to strengthen
gradually. But the Capricornids have nearly ceased activity.

Particular nice meteors appeared at 22:14:36 UT (mag 0 Per), 23:01:43 UT
(-1 Per), a beautifull loooooooong -2 delta Aquarid  of several seconds low
in the southern sky at 23:09:29, a -1 Per at 0:47:44, and two mag 0 Pers at
1:48:26 and 1:52:04. And there were a couple of bright ones that were seen
by Koen or Casper, including a nice -3 that appeared while I was making a
sanitary stop (...). A -2 sporadic appeared only a few degrees above the
eastern horizon near 2h UT.

So it will be clear that we enjoyed ourselves this night!

Actually, it seemed to become a quite hazy night in the afternoon, so we
were really surprised to see the haze dissolute after sunset and the night
sky becoming increasingly clear. During evening twilight, we had a
fireworks display to start with from a neighbouring village. Since our
camera's were already open I guess the first pictures will be a little bit
too illuminated by bright 'celestial' objects....

Unlike the previous night, our new 85 mm camera array that we build
especially for the upcoming 1998 Leonid expedition now functioned
excellent. We have equiped it with a more accurate but battery-pack driven
sector producing 75 breaks per second. We are now convinced that it will
indeed function for at least 4 hours on the battery-pack alone after last
night's test. That means we don't have to take a generator into central
China in 1998 or trust on the Chines electric, if that exists at all in the
remote place we plan to go.

We saw the Mir again late in twilight. The second object following it (the
Progress rocket) is now at a slightly larger distance but it still is a
peculiar view to see those two chasing each other.

Coming night will probably be good again here, but for the maximum period,
we fear the development of a thunderstorm.

Well, below the 'hard facts' of last night. 271 meteors observed in 4.19h
Eff with Lm near +6.7-6.8.

-Marco.

Observer: Marco Langbroek (LANMA    -    MLV)
Location: Biddinghuizen, the Netherlands, 52d 29' N, 5d 41' E

Date: August 8/9, 1997

UT		Teff	Lm	Per	d Aqr	i Aqr	k Cyg	Cap	Spo

21:35 - 22:36	1.00	6.7	16	3	2	3	0	16
22:36 - 23:35	0.87	6.7	21	6	1	4	0	19
23:43 - 00:48	1.02	6.8	27	8	3	3	2	28
00:48 - 01:52	0.93	6.8	26	5	2	0	0	40
01:52 - 02:17	0.37	6.3	21	3	0	0	0	12

TOTAL		4.19	<6.7>	111	25	8	10	2	115	271

Stream		-2	-1	0	1	2	3	4	5	6

Sporadics	1	0	0	1	9	17	36	34	17
Perseids		0	2	3	4	8	27	33	19	15
d Aquarids	1	0	0	0	0	7	8	9	0
i Aquarids	0	0	0	1	0	0	3	4	0
k Cygnids	0	0	0	2	1	1	4	1	1
Capricornids	0	0	0	0	0	1	1	0	0

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm