[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseid data August 9/10 LANMA and MISKO

Night report Marco Langbroek and Koen Miskotte, August 9/10 1997

Good morning dear reader,

Below our results of last night. This was a little bit a poor night
concerning the weather conditions. When we arrived at Biddinghuizen, there
was some cirrus that disolved after sunset, so prospects looked nice at
first.  But it remained hazy, and actually this was due to a blanket of low
fog that began to cover the meadows. Limiting magnitudes down to +6.3,
which is bad for Biddinghuizen. Around 00:52 UT (2:52 am local time) a
blanket of Altocumulus that had culled off the stations in the eastern
Netherlands earlier began to intrude and I stopped. Koen, who was a little
bit tired, had stopped much earlier because of the poor conditions. Yet,
before the Altocumulus came, observing was still well possible though not
quite inspiring compared to the previous Lm +6.8 night.

The night started well with a nice slooooow -2 yellow Capricornid in Umi at
21:22:50 UT. There have been more bright meteors this night, e.g. 22:24:37
UT (-1 Perseid), and a couple of magnitude zero's. A bright one of at least
-5 appeared through the Altocumulus while I was rolling in the electric
wiring and saw the wire-roll  and surrounding meadows light up.

We saw the Mir again around 21:25 UT. It is still followed by the Progress,
but the distance increases.

Well, though I collected a nice share of meteors, still the general feeling
with us is that this night fizzled a little bit. A very large stationary
high pressure area has established itself over Europe, so I fear hazy skies
and development of nightly fog will continue. In weather forecasts, the
first appearance of  thunderstorms is now  prolonged to August 13. But
about an hour ago, some eastern breeze developed and the sky quality is
slightly increasing. So if the breeze continues and fog gets no chance,
maybe tonight will be fine.

Best wishes,

-Marco
DMS team 'Delphinus', the Netherlands

Observer: Marco Langbroek (LANMA    -    MLV)
Location: Biddinghuizen, the Netherlands, 52d 29' N, 5d 41' E

Date: August 9/10, 1997

UT		Teff	Lm	Per	d Aqr	i Aqr	k Cyg	Cap	Spo

21:22 - 22:22	0.95	6.5	22	3	2	3	2	15
22:22 - 23:46	0.83	6.3	26	4	1	1	0	17
23:46 - 00:22	0.40	6.3	13	2	0	2	0	6
00:22 - 00:52	0.42	6.2	13	1	0	4	0	7

TOTAL		2.60	<6.3>	74	10	3	10	2	45

Stream		-2	-1	0	1	2	3	4	5	6

Sporadics	0	0	0	1	3	9	23	9	0
Perseids		0	1	3	5	6	19	29	11	0
d Aquarids	0	0	0	0	0	4	5	1	0
i Aquarids	0	0	0	0	0	0	2	1	0
k Cygnids	0	0	0	1	1	2	5	1	0
Capricornids	1	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0

Observer: Koen Miskotte (MISKO    -    KMH)
Location: Biddinghuizen, the Netherlands, 52d 29' N, 5d 41' E

Date: August 9/10, 1997

UT		Teff	Lm	Per	d Aqr	i Aqr	Cap	k Cyg	Spo

21:20 - 22:40	1.33	6.5	17	1	1	1	3	11
23:20 - 23:55	0.58	6.4	7	0	0	0	0	1

TOTAL		1.91	<6.5>	24	1	1	1	3	12

Stream		-2	-1	0	1	2	3	4	5	6

Sporadics	0	0	0	0	1	2	6	3	0
Perseids		0	0	0	3	2	9	7	3	0
d Aquarids	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	0
i Aquarids	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	0
Capricornids	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
k Cygnids	0	0	0	0	0	0	2	1	0

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm