[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Met. Obser Aug 9/10 ZAYGE

My meteor observations for Aug 9/10, 1997...George Zay

Well...I headed on up to my observatory in Descanso, Calif. and started
observing and operating my camera at 7h06 UT (00h06 PDT) under clear and very
dark skies with my LM near 6.0. The fog was thick coming up and it blocked
most of the lights from San Diego area. Things were going good until I
noticed the fog was slopping over the coastal mountains to where I was at. I
got in a good 1.3 hours before I was enveloped completely and suddenly by the
fog. The perseids were active...Out of the 32 meteors observed during that
period...18 were Perseids. I took a nap while waiting for the fog to drain
back to the coast...which it did nearly 2 hours later. I began again at
10h24m UT(3h24 PDT) with clear and very dark skies....I had hoped to get the
last 1.3 hours unimpeded....things were going great ....until 45 minutes
later the fog made a return...shortly afterwards I stopped for the night.
During my last 45 minutes I recorded a total of 15 perseids out of 25
meteors....bummer! Hopefully tonight the fog won't be as much as a pest?
Perhaps I will go higher up to Pine Valley and see if I can get above the fog
layers if it comes over me this time? The brightest meteor was a -2
Perseid...of which I think I captured on film. My shower break down and
observing periods are as shown below:

Perseids = 33
S Delta Aquarids = 2
N Delta Aquarids = 5
S Iota Aquarids = 0
N Iota Aquarids = 2
kappa Cygnids = 1
Pisces Austrinids = 1
alpha Capricornids = 2
Sporadics = 12

Observing periods:
7h06-1h28= 18PER, 1SDA, 2NDA, 2NIA, 0SIA, 0PAU, 2CAP, 1KCG, 6 sporadics
Teff= 1.3 hours
10h24-11h11= 15PER, 1SDA, 2NDA, 0NIA, 0SIA, 1PAU, 0CAP, 0KCG, 6 sporadics
Teff = 0.75 hours
George Zay