[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseids (WOW!)

Just a quick report to say the Perseids were fantastic this morning.
I watched for 6 hours and must have seen 300-400 meteors, maybe more.
I have one full side and half of another side of a 90 minute cassette
tape to listen to in order to obtain my counts. I started at 11pm PDT
with a bright moon in the sky. Rates were low until the moon set some
90 minutes later. Once the moon set rates sky rocketed with many one
minute periods offering 3-4 meteors each.

The highlight of the night was a beautiful white -8 Perseid that shot
high into the western sky during the 3rd hour. It travelled some 45
degrees and left a train that lasted 200 seconds. George saw another -
8 late in the session. I missed it since it was very low in the west
but I did see the flash on the tree in front of me. I did record a -7
and a -5 Perseid fireballs. Negative magnitudes 4 and below were
numerous.

It was a great night and certainly made up for last nights fiasco and
maybe even the clouded out session of 8/12/94. I will post my counts
as soon as I get a chance to listen to my tape, hopefully this
afternoon.

Bob