[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseids...the nite after... Aug12/13 ZAYGE

My Meteor Observations for Aug 12/13, 1997...George Zay

I started the night out with a bang...I overslept by 40 minutes....this could
have been one of those nights that I would have woke up to the sun wondering
what happened...but for some instinctive reasons I woke suddenly to look at
the clock. I eventually made my way to the observatory...Bob was already
there. I hastily got set up and began observing...starting at 8h31 UT(1h31
PDT). I observed for a total of 3.32 hours under totally clear skies with a
Sky Limiting Magnitude near 6.0 all night. I observed for only the Perseids
and the kappa Cygnids...everything else was listed as a sporadic. Perseid
activity was noticeably a lot less this morning...I recorded a total of 182
meteors of which 139 were Perseids...I did not see any kappa Cygnids though I
was looking for them. The brightest meteor was a -3 Perseid...Bob who was
facing another direction saw a -6 Perseid...I saw the light flash on my tape
recorder...but I didn't record this myself since it would have been one of
those ..."I wonder what in the heck was that"? The most Perseids for a 1 hour
period amounted to 43.  Shower break down is as follows:

Perseids = 139
kappa Cygnids = 0
Sporadics = 43

Hourly Observing Periods:
8h31-9h33 = 35 PER, 0 KCG, 19 Sporadics
Teff = 1.0 hours
9h33-10h39 = 43 PER, 0 KCG, 8 sporadics
Teff = 1.0 hours
1039-12h00 = 61 PER, 0 KCG, 14 Sporadics
Teff = 1.32 hours