[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Wes' mag. distribution (was: Perseids Aug. 11/12)

Hello Wes,

After a sleep I have taken a better look at our magnitude distributions.
You shouldn't have worried: your distribution might be better than mine...
I have calculated the population index profile over the distributions (by
comparing Log Nper/Nspor: in this way you get rid of personal differences
in probabilty functions). For the mag. interval of -1 to +5 both our
population-index profiles are equal with r ~2.9-3.0, rather faint, if I
take r sporadic as 3.4 (with r spo=3.0 it results in r=~2.6). What deviates
is the number of +6-es I recorded, which stands out as 'too high'.
Probably, some of these were actually +7's!!! In addition, you have more
very bright one's deep into the negative magnitudes. That is due to you
observing the short 'new peak' that is rich in such very bright meteors.

By the way, what I forgot to mention in my earlier mail: why characterize
your data as 'frustrating' as you did in your header?  Nearly 500 meteors
seems a very fine share to me and many observers would actually wish to
have such numbers!

-Marco Langbroek

At 21:31 12-08-97 -0700, you wrote:

>Great skies, good meteor shower, frustrating data.
>  Unfortunately, I think the novel
>experience of being under such dark skies skewed my magnitude data.  When
>I did magnitude distributions for Perseids and Sporadics, the mean
>magnitudes came out to be 2.2 and 3.0, about what one should expect under
>magnitude 6.5 skies.  Compare my data to Marco Langbroek's, posted here
>earlier.  He apparently observed a very faint portion of the Perseid
>stream (mean magnitude 3.3???), but his sporadic magnitudes are right on
>track for his LM.  I got a high number of sporadics, as I should have, but
>my magnitude distribution is disproportionately bright.

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm

Follow-Ups: References: