[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Perseid max good from SW Fla

At 18:34 12-08-97 -0400, you wrote:

>I saw only 1 Kappa Cygnid the entire session.  A very distinctive slow one,
>so it's especially unlikely that I'm mislabeling them.  Why do others see so
>many of these??  I do better with the Kappa Aquarids in late September, and
>a rate of 2/hr from a shower that slow really stands out.

Norm,

Which radiant size do you consider for the kappa Cygnids?

The kappa Cygnids are problematic in the sense that it has become very
clear that it actually is more than one stream. From photographic data,
Lindblad found a number of radiants scattering over the Cygnus-Draco area.
So it is a stream complex, not 'one' stream, and the complex results in a
diffuse radiant.

I use a radiant diameter of 15-20 degrees,  roughly delineated by the
wetsern Cygnus wingtip, Vega and the eastern part of Draco, which probably
covers most of the substreams. IMO recommends similar radiant sizes in
their handbook.

Any way, activity values for this stream should be handled rather cautious
for above reasons.

-Marco

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm