[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) KCGs (was Re: Perseid max good from SW Fla)

At 05:28 PM 8/13/97 +0200, you wrote:
>The kappa Cygnids are problematic in the sense that it has become very
>clear that it actually is more than one stream... and the complex results
>in a diffuse radiant... I use a radiant diameter of 15-20 degrees...
>-Marco

This intrigued me, Marco! I have been using a diameter of only 6o for my
observations, which is probably about the size Norman uses! The KCGs aren't
featured in the 1997 Calendar, so no radiant size is listed. But checking
back in the 1996 IMO Calendar online
(http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal96.html), I found this as the listed RADIUS
for the shower. Going one year further back, to cal95.html, I found this as
the listed DIAMETER of the shower, which is probably where my number for
shower IDing came from! (Which is right???) The 1998 catalog, which does
feature the KCGs, again lists a radius of 6o.

At any rate, I have seen generally 1-2 KCGs/hour around the time of PER max
- six days *before* KCG max - both of these past two years... This is using
the quite narrow six-degree radiant DIAMETER. So I guess in my case,
Norman's question of "Why all the KCGs??" is still a valid one. Norman,
could it have anything to do with the 20o difference in radiant elevation
between South Florida and New England/Europe during the night?

Lew, making up for cloudy nights with trying questions :)