[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Those pesky path lengths

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> I'm really confused now. My take on it was that the radiant of any
potential
> meteor was double the endpoint of the meteor. For example - if you see
a meteor
> that is 10 degrees long the radiant was about 20 degrees from where
the meteor
> disappears.
>

>      @ __________|----------------->         (can't get the two lines
to line
> up, you get the idea tho)
>
> @sign is radiant
>            solid line measurement
>                             dotted line is meteor seen
> solid line and dotted line is more or less the same size.

Kevin, the STARTING POINT of the meteor must be twice the distance of
the path length from the radiant to qualify as a shower member.

> Norm:  <<I agree with Jim R that experience on path lengths becomes
the best
> guide
> for Perseids.  Get out and watch, develop a feel for what path lengths
are
> looking like, and go from there. >>
>
> I don't know if I can agree w/ that. You can't add 2+2 if you don't
know what
> the "+" stands for. Looking at it all day won't help either. You (I)
need some
> sort of foundation to build on.

It is really difficult to grasp these ideas on paper. One 4 hour
observing session with an experienced observer would do wonders, ask
Joseph Assmus. It is too bad we are sooo spread out and can't watch
together. Of course anyone is welcome to join us out here. By the way
that reminds me that the 3rd annual desert observing trek will be held
Jan 2-4, 1998 in order to try to catch some Quadrantid activity under
dark skies, unobstructed horizons, and tolerable temperatures. It's only
2 hours from Las Vegas!

Bob Lunsford