[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Reported Fireball Magnitudes

<<       I am somewhat skeptical about the number and magnitude of fireballs
 being reported by some observers during the Perseid Shower.  My own
 observations don't support this, so I'm puzzled as to why I'm not recording
 these very bright fireballs!  I have looked at the MORP Camera Network
 statistics published by Halliday et all in the Journal, "METEORITICS - Vol
 31, No.2 March 1996).  There are indeed greater numbers of -3 magnitude and
 brighter meteors reported during the Perseid shower dates.  These were
 recorded by a 12 Station - 60 Camera system when it was in operation over an
 eleven year period.  For a single Station, the number of -3 magnitude or
 brighter fireballs reported don't seem to support the numbers reported by
 some observers.  I do meteor spectroscopy from my observatory on mid
 Vancouver Island and will record spectra of meteors brighter than -2
 magnitude and my own data does not support this either.   I would like to
 see some of these observers  set up an all-sky or fisheye camera during
 their observing sessions to try and confirm their observations.  In
 Europe,observers might be able to check the data from the European Fireball
 Camera Network.  I would be very happy if the rates of very bright fireballs
 where as high as reported. I have also looked back at some results reported
 in Meteor News, by Millman and meteors brighter than -3 magnitude are quite
 rare during past visual observations.  Maybe I should move to your location
 to improve my spectra numbers!

 Ed

-------------
Well Ed...I don't know what to tell you....I have no reason to falsify any of
my reported fireballs...I normally see several fireballs from -3 on up during
the peak nite. During my 13 nite Perseid campaign, I've seen two -10's, two
-8's, one -7, several -4's, several -3's and a butt load of -2's. I can
assure you that run of the mill meteors don't leave persistent trains lasting
200 seconds or 10, or 20 seconds long etc...as Bob and I saw during this
campaign.  Photographically I only logged 5 of these using a 28mm camera and
a 50mm camera...I'm quite disappointed really...Normally I'll catch about
15/campaign...During the peak nite, it seemed that the really bright one's
were just outside of my camera's field. If I could give any suggestions on
how to photographically catch very bright meteors at my observatory to
someone...I'd have to suggest that they aim their camera anywhere that my
camera's aren't pointed at. It seemed they instinctively knew how to avoid
me.  I would love to set up a fisheye all sky camera at my observing
site...just send me the lens to fit my pentax. I was talking to Bob the other
nite that I would like to get another 28mm lens and replace my second
camera's 50 mm lens so that I can have a larger portion of the sky covered.
Hopefully I can acquire this lens prior to the Leonids..dot despite the moon.
Actually...I haven't noticed anyone having what I would consider as
abnormally high fireball rates during this campaign...Your not seeing them
seems to be somewhat abnormal to me however. There are on occasions however
that some individuals seemed to repeatedly see -8's or -10 or brighter
fireballs on a routine basis...these individuals raise my suspicions
sometimes...but??? Anyhow...there is one sure fire way to see more fireballs
during the peak of a major meteor shower...you must observe frequently and
with your eyes open....
George Zay