[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #492

Hi all

Jean-Christophe wrote:
>Subject: (meteorobs) Greetings from Hale-Bopp

>No perseids for me as I am -22S so the radiant in under the horizon during
>the whole night and further more I have a lot of work to do but that is the
>second year in a row that some of my fellow observers notice more
>unidentified meteors during this period. Can any southern observer confirm
>that ?

I plotted the weak southern activity on the mornings of August 10-12 with
Teff=5.0 hours.  I found definite activity from the beta Cetids, with a
possible north/south split radiant.  Also two further possible radiants at
023, -19 deg and 030, -13 deg.
I would be very glad to hear from any one else who plotted around this period.
In addition I logged 7 Perseids (I am at latitude 26S!) all with very long
paths.

>Now for my comet report:

>5:15 Looking through my binoculars, under Canis Major,  "et voila"
>Hale-Bopp, very obvious with a small tail 1 degree long. Without my bino, I
>could even guess it with averted vision. The comet is now around mag 4. The
>daylight is coming. Now it is time to go back to work. I promise next time
>I will wake up at 4AM

Just to add my bit, I make Hale-Bopp m1=4.4, DC=7, coma diameter=5', fan
like tail of 29' length spanning PA=209-244 deg, slightly curved.  The comet
is still an easy naked eye object.

Best wishes
Tim Cooper