[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Reported Fireball Magnitudes

With reference to my message noted below:

><<       I am somewhat skeptical about the number and magnitude of fireballs
> being reported by some observers during the Perseid Shower.  My own
> observations don't support this, so I'm puzzled as to why I'm not recording
> these very bright fireballs!

        I have done a quick review of past Perseid Observations reported in
the Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, section, "Meteor
News" by Peter M. Millman.  The years reported are for, 1951, 1952, 1954,
1955, 1956. Observation sites include, Regina Sask, Montreal, Deep River
Ont, Winnipeg Man. Ottawa Ont. and seven sites across Saskatchewan during
Operation Perseid 1956.  I help direct the latter observation.  The number
of sites should remove any observer bias as different people and observation
methods were probably used.  The bright meteor magnitude distribution
reported was:
        -3 (9), -2.5 (3), -2.0 (49), -1.5 (12)  NO -4.0 or brighter reported!!

                    WHAT's GOING ON HERE FOLKS?????

Perhaps someone from the IMO, AMS, or other organization should do a study
of this.  I would do it, but I don't have access to all the necessary
observational material.  A photographic confirmation with an all-sky camera
or fisheye lens could solve this dilemma one way or the other.  Fisheye
lenses are very expensive but one could make an all-sky camera out of a
convex Volkswagon Hubcap if you could find one in perfect condition.  I
would do it but I don't have a clear horizon.  It would be an interesting
project and I'm sure a most useful one!  I'm not doubting your observational
skills.  Perhaps something has indeed changed from obervations conducted in
the 1950's and the present.  It would be nice to know, WHAT!!

Edward Majden                         epmajden@mars.ark.com
1491 Burgess Road                     Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.                       http://www.serve.com/meteors/majden.html
CANADA  V9N-5R8                       Amateur Astronomy