[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Computer Recording

Hi folks,
even if this thread was discussed some days ago, I want to throw in some
of my thoughts now I'm back from the Perseids.

> << I think we should update the methods to include
>  computer logging with the time stamped from the computer.
>   I do it and have on a basic level 2 keys set aside for
>  Persieds or Non-Perseids. with a red gel over the screen.
>   ANd an extension cord this works very well.
>   The time is set by WWF on the internal clock.
>   Comments anyone?
>  Dr. Louis S. Binder
>  Fort Bend Astronomy Club
>
>   >>
> ---------------
> Do you enter the meteor's magnitudes? or members of other showers other than
> Perseids and sporadics...such as the S. Delta Aquarids, N. Delta Aquarids,
> Capricornids, S. Iota Aquarids, Kappa Cygnids and the Piscis Austrinids...all
> somewhat active during Perseid activity? Do you enter persistent train
> durations?...Color? Do you enter dead time from moments that you might have
> to turn away and attend a camera?

The question really is what type of observation the computer is good for.
'Computer based meteor observation' (as we call it) is not the method that
solves all of the problems, but it is certainly useful in some situations.
We have developed a similar system some 8 years ago, and the system is
still in operation. In fact, just in the last few days my laptop was
frequently used during the Perseid observation.

I think I have described our system some time ago, so I want to give only
a short description again. Basically, we have up to four special 'hand
devices' connected via a long serial line to a computer. Each device is of
pocket light size and has three switches as well as a two-digit display.
With one switch you can log onto the system once you start your
observation. If you see a meteor you press one button. Then you change the
brightness and the shower of the meteor with the other button,
briefly check your data on the display and finally send them with another
button click to the computer. At the end of observation or during breaks
you simply logout and the time is stored again.

As you see, all meteor data that are needed for the counting method are
stored that way. We have been using the system for many years by now and
gained a lot of experience with this type of observation.
The advantages are:
* Meteor observation is more fun! You do not have to listen to hour-long
tapes or read long pieces of paper after the observation but can calculate
you ZHRs, brightness distributions and create IMO reports within minutes.
* You get accurate times for each meteor as long as the activity is not
too high. This enables investigations like meteor clustering which are not
possible with other visual techniques.
* You can split your observation into arbitrary intervalls afterwards,
which is not possible if you have only a few time stamps on you tape/paper
roll.
And here are the disadvantages:
* This method is only effective for rich meteor displays, i.e. when you
are counting. Of course, the computer cannot store all the data from
meteor plottings.
* You need to operate a tape recorder (or something similar) in parallel.
Our system is designed so that an operator can enter special data
(like star field counts, clouds, remarks) directly at the keyboard.
However, usually nobody wants to do that boring job. :-)
So we record all extra data (including trains, fireballs, colors) on tape
and complete the data file the next day by hand. I can ensure you, that
this is still much more efficient that any other method. I only remember
the 3.5 hours it took me to write down last years Geminid observation.
It could have been done in minutes if I had used the computer that day!
* You need good batteries or a power socket. As a video observer I'm used
to that problem. :-)

To cut the long story short: There are plenty of methods to record meteor
data during a watch - using a computer is not the worst one. I like this
method and some of my friends prefer these handy devices, too. Others,
like Marco already said, rely on the more traditional methods like pencil
and paper and do not even think about a tape recorder.
Some DMS member from California is not the only one that falls into that
category - I know also about a visual director from some meteor
organization who's that 'conservative', too. :-))
Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*         Verbindungsweg 7          *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-15366 Hoenow           *                                    *
*        sirko.molau@dlrdot de         *                       Shakespeare  *
*      http://www.snafudot de/~smo     *                                    *