Date: 14 Aug 97 16:55:19 EDT
From: Rainer Arlt <100114.1361@compuserve.com>
To: IMO-news <imo-news@imodot net>
Subject: Perseid Circular 1997

         -------------------------------------
         I M O   S h o w e r   C i r c u l a r
         -------------------------------------

                     PERSEIDS 1997

The 1997 Perseid peak caused by the new filament of the Perseid
stream was predicted for 8h or 9h UT on August 12. Enhanced
activity was reported by several observers in North America,
significantly above the pre-traditional maximum levels, but
lower than in 1996. Highest rates occurred between 8h00 and
8h30 UT corresponding to a solar longitude of 139.70 deg (J2000).

The traditional maximum may have peaked over Asian longitudes
from where no data have been reported yet. Highest rates from
Europe were observed around 0h UT on August 13, at a solar longi-
tude of 140.57 deg being unusually late. Hence we may assume that
the true traditional maximum occurred in between the American and
European observing windows.

ARLRA  Rainer Arlt (Germany)
GURPE  Pete Gural (USA)
HEELA  Lars Trygve Heen (Norway)
JOHCA  Carl Johannink (Netherlands)
KUSRA  Ralf Kuschnik (Germany)
LANMA  Marco Langbroek (Netherlands)
LUNRO  Robert Lunsford (USA)
MCLNO  Norman McLeod (USA)
MISKO  Koen Miskotte (Netherlands)
MOLSI  Sirko Molau (Germany)
PETLA  Petersen Lars (Denmark)
SOLMA  Manuel Solano Riuz (Spain)
STOWE  Wes Stone (USA)
UAA    Umpqua Amateur Astronomers of Roseburg, OR (USA)
WILBA  Barbara Wilson (USA)
ZAYGE  George Zay (USA)

- ----------------------------
1997
Aug  UT  #Obs  #PER  ZHR  +-
- ----------------------------
11  2100   5    132   60  24
11  2200   7    222   58  13
11  2300   6    258   62  19
12  0000   8    344   67  25
12  0130   7    347   74  17
12  0500   4    133   54   3
12  0700   4    121   70   7
12  0800   5    367  128  26
12  0900   7    631  116  47
12  1100   4    358   96  23

12  2130   7    178   66  10
12  2300   7    263   73  19
12  0000   5    256  101  24
12  0045   5    269   77  34
12  0130   5    230   83  27
12  1000   3    139   79   2
- ----------------------------

ZHRs were calculated using a population index of r=2.0. The values given
are non-weighted averages of '#Obs' observing periods. ZHR errors '+-'
are the standard deviation of the average. Note that the ZHR bins are not
equidistant.

Many thanks to all observers who contributed so quickly to this first
activity overview. If you have not yet sent your Perseid logs, we would
be very grateful to receive your results.

Rainer Arlt, 1997 August 14.
Visual Commission: visual@imodot net
IMO Website:   http://www.imodot net

------- End of Forwarded Message