[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) PERSEIDS Aug 11/12 from Central California

     Before I present the data... just wanted to note that in the past 17
  years of meteor observing, this years Perseid peak was clearly one of the
  most memorable nights.   Not only were conditions perfect (clear dark skies
  out in the middle of central Calif foothills) and there were many bright
  meteors, BUT, I had the golden opportunity to observe with a group headed by
  none other than Dr Peter Jenniskens.  It was the first time I met Peter
  and, boy, it was quite an honor to, first, hang out at the local MacDonalds
  and chat about comets/meteors and then go watch the Perseids... with
  professional meteor scientist!   Along with Peter and myself, there was
  Peter's "hardware guy" Mike, who was resposible for camera and video setups
  In addition, there was a very nice group of 11 volunteers who showed up to
  observe and assist in plotting.  WOWEE!  11 plotters, 2 counters, 2
  mulitple-camera platforms, 1 image-intensified video tape platform AND Dr
  Jenniskens all under clear starry skies out in the middle of nowhere Calif.

    Meteor observing does not get ANY better than that.   Now the data ...

                         PERSEID METEOR SHOWER
                            SUMMARY REPORT

  DATE: Aug 11/13, 1997    BEGIN: 5h30 UT (2230 PDT)  END: 11h45 UT (0445 PDT)
  OBSERVER:  Joseph D. Assmus      IMO CODE: ASSJO
  LOCATION:  Mercy Hot Springs, California,  USA
             approx- Lat:   36 deg 50' North
                     Long: 120 deg 50' West

  Data are for Perseids and Sporadics (Non-Perseids) only.
  My visual field was centered due North-East:   60 deg (5h30-9h30)
                                                 80 deg (9h30-11h45)
          PERIOD (UT)  Teff  F   Lm     PER    SPO    Total
           5h30- 6h30  .979  1   5.9     11     4      15
           6h30- 7h30  .968  1   5.9     17     5      23
           7h30- 8h30  .917  1   6.2     47    13      60
           8h30- 9h30  .901  1   6.3     53    15      68
           9h30-10h30  .925  1   6.3     46     8      54
          10h30-11h30  .939  1   6.2     32    12      44
          11h30-11h45  .224  1   6.2     15     4      19
          Total        5.86      6.12   221    62     283

                        MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTION TABLE

      -5    -4    -3    -2    -1     0     1     2     3     4     5  | AVG
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------+-----
 PER   1     2     2     3    11    34    36    64    41     9     6  | 1.52
 SPO         1                       1     2    13    15    15    11  | 3.17
 --------------------------------------------------------------- ----+------

 This was probably the most BRIGHT meteors I've seen in one night.  A total
  of 20 meteors with magnitude >= -1.   Looking up Perseid history in
  Kronk, my average Perseid magnitude seems significantly different than the
  "historical" average Persied magnitude.

  The following table are Perseid raw rates presented in 15 minute intervals.
  PERIOD (UT)     # PERSEIDs
  --------------------------
   530- 545           1
   545- 600           4
   600- 615           1
   615- 630           5
   630- 645           4
   645- 700           4
   700- 715           2
   715- 730           7
   730- 745           7
   745- 800          13
   800- 815          13
   815- 830          14
   830- 845          15
   845- 900          15
   900- 915          15
   915- 930          10
   930- 945          13
   945-1000          10
  1000-1015           8
  1015-1030          15
  1030-1045           5
  1045-1100           8
  1100-1115           6
  1115-1130          13
  1130-1145          15

     That is all.  I will be sending hardcopy/diskcopy of my raw data to
  Dr Jenniskens to use for sync'ing up photographed meteors with my recorded
  times for orbital determination.

     PERSEID-97!  Great year!

     Regards,

     Joseph D. Assmus