[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re[2]: (meteorobs) PERSEIDS Aug 11/12 from Central California

> Sirko responds:  "..they *plotted* the Perseid maximum??? Poor guys! ;-))

  Hi Sirko (others),

    They sure did (and BTW, it was ~50/50- guys AND girls!!)  and now I see
  why the 11 plotters were really needed...  SKY COVERAGE!  It was
  wonderful watching Peter work.  First, he carefully instructed the plotting
  team about the task at hand, then,  he distributed charts covering that
  plotter's assigned part of the sky...  plotters then practiced for about 30
  min plotting any meteor seen in their respective 1/11th part of the sky...
  Peter (along with some assistance from yours truly) checked the plots and
  offered guidance.  At start time, plotters were instructed to plot only
  those meteors that were magnitude 1 or brighter.  Everyone was very
  enthusiastic.  At first, I thought this all was to be a very formidable
  task...  But I commend Dr Jenniskens on his ability to organize an ad hoc
  group of fairly novice volunteer observers and within an hours time, have
  them all working beatifully and happily together.  As I said in my
  report, it was the most fun Ive had watching meteors in 17 years.
  In the end, ain't that what it's all about... having fun.

    Yours truly,

    Joseph