[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) PERSEIDS Aug 11/12 from Central California

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> they *plotted* the Perseid maximum??? Poor guys! ;-)) Many years ago
we also
> plotted every night starting in mid-February with a few each hour
until the
> maximum of the Perseids and Geminids with up to hundred and more. I
would never
> like to do it again! As you plot a meteor under maximum conditions you
miss the
> next two or three and hear from you excited neighbours *what* a fine
meteor you
> have missed... We just created the new 'law': If somebody is doing
something
> bad (like sleeping during a watch) he will be punished with meteor
plotting not
> below ZHR 200. =:-)
> Sirko

I had intentions of plotting meteors from the Perseid subradiants and
those from Cetus/Eridanus. It was much too busy at maximum as I was
lucky to keep pace using my cassette recorder. I did manage a few plots
when activity died down later on the 11/12 and on the 12/13.

I know what Dr. Jenniskens had in mind but he could not have possibly
expect novices to accurately plot meteors on their first attempt. I
agree with Sirko that one would miss too many meteors if attempting to
plot the Perseids or Geminids.

Bob