[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Reported Fireball Magnitudes

Lew wrote:

>Indeed it would, Ed! I'm still trying to locate a fish-eye arrangement for
>my old Miranda Sensorex camera... If I find one in time for the
>Quadrantids, I'll sure use it! Assuming, of course, I don't get clouded
>out... x^*
>
>Lew

        Several years ago Spiratone sold a fisheye attachment lens that
screwed on like a filter on a normal lens. They were inexpensive, unlike a
real fish-eye lens which costs big bucks!  Optically, I understand that they
were not the greatest, but they may work for this.  Check your used camera
stores.   Another alternative is to make an all-sky camera out of a chrome
convex Volkswagon hubcap.  A normal camera focused at infinity is suspended
above the hubcap looking down at it. The convex hubcap converts the normal
lens into a fish-eye unit.  There are examples of such systems in old back
issues of Sky & Telescope. This is basically the way the old auroral all-sky
cameras used during IGY worked.  I've looked for a fish-eye attachment lens
but have been un-able to find one up here.  You may be luckier!  I
understand the Russians made one that wasn't half bad.

Ed
Edward Majden                         epmajden@mars.ark.com
1491 Burgess Road                     Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.                       http://www.serve.com/meteors/majden.html
CANADA  V9N-5R8                       Amateur Astronomy