[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re:Plotting During the Perseids

On plotting during major showers.  Let me be controversial.  I think
it would be useful for some people to concentrate on spatial
information rather than rates, every once in a while.  There have been
claims of sub-radiants; if everyone counts, it's hard to generate
evidence for or against their existence.  There are plenty of meteors,
so plotted meteors should only be ones seen well (low DCV).  As
accuracy is important, I'd only suggest it to experienced observers.
We telescopic observers are used to seeing far fewer meteors during
the Perseids.

In the longer term, wide-field video observations appear to offer a
solution.  You'd want to have a similar mean meteor magnitude as the
visual observer.

Malcolm