[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Plotting During the Perseids

At 05:19 PM 8/22/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Let me be controversial.

On the contrary, Malcolm, I'd say your points are pretty undeniable!
I was tempted myself to do some telescopic charts during the night
before PER max - after all, the sky was so bad I really didn't feel
I would miss much visually. Unfortunately, inexperience dissuaded me.

One thing that I believe would be helpful in encouraging observers
to try telescopic observations during major shower maxima, would be
for those who data analyses to advertise that a particular major
shower was in NEED of them; e.g., the subradiants of the Perseids.

>In the longer term, wide-field video observations appear to offer a
>solution.  You'd want to have a similar mean meteor magnitude as the
>visual observer.

This last made me curious: what would be the advantage of having a
similar "mean meteor magnitude" (meaning limiting magnitude?) between
the wide-field video and one or more visual observers doing counts?

Clear skies to all!
Lew