[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Question?

At 09:10 AM 8/25/97 EDT, Wayne wrote:
>George said:
>>I'd prefer 5 Teff hours from observatons after midnight than 50 hours
>>before midnight.
>However, in Jonathan's case, due to age induced restrictions, that is
>not necessarily an option.

Well, the reasons why RATES in the evenings are generally less are very
clear (for those who are just getting started, the reason is that an
observer on the pre-midnight side of earth's globe is still facing AWAY
from the direction of earth's orbital motion around the sun. Thus,
meteoroids have to "catch up" with the earth to be seen at all during the
evening hours...)

However, what's NOT clear to me is why data collected in the premidnight
hours is not SCIENTIFICALLY USEFUL? In fact, why it is not just as
valuable, in terms of identifying or resolving possible minor radiants at
least, as the after-midnight observing is... Anyone care to explain it to
this youngster?

Lew, still livin' after midnight, but only for the thrills ;>>