[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Weekly IRC Meteor Chat on Monday!

Hi everybody,

----------
> De : Lewis Gramer <dedalus@latrade.com>
> A : meteorobs@latrade.com
> Objet : (meteorobs) Weekly IRC Meteor Chat on Monday!
> Date : mardi 26 août 1997 04:15
>

>     As usual, there will be an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) session
>     about meteor observing on Monday evening, starting at 8pm EDT,
>     (which is 00:00 UT on Tuesday morning). Anyone with an interest
>     in meteors, around the world, is welcome to attend this session
>     (or our chat on Saturdays, 11am EDT, 15:00 UT).

We were only 4 on line for this session but I really enjoyed the chat.

>     To attend, download a copy of one of the many IRC "client
>     programs" (a good one for Windows is called "mIRC", and one for
>     the Mac is "IRCle": both are available as try-to-buy shareware
>     on the Internet). Once you have an IRC client on your computer,
>     connect to the server on "DALnet" known as: centurion.daldot net

Mark Davis was there and asked me about my connection as I live in New
Caledonia, South Pacific
I connected to centurion.daldot net without any problems but it may not be the
case of european people so here are 2 cents from the network (and therefore
internet) consultant I am during the working hours

centurion.daldot net is located in Jacksonville US, Florida and
AFAIK, IRC servers are somewhat overworked so they limit their connections
to some part of the world so in the US you can't connect to european
servers and vice versa.
Happily, you can connect to the same "channel" from different servers
belonging to the same group of IRC servers so you only have to find a
DALnet server that works for your location.
Here are the 3 DALnet servers (with their ports and group) I know in Europe
in case they are not present in the default configuration of your IRC
client software.

Description             Server              ports               group

DALnet: EU, FI, Espoo   xgw.daldot net         6668,7000           dalnet
DALnet: EU, UK, Bristol liberator.daldot net   6668,6669,7000      dalnet
DALnet: EU, UK, London  defiant.daldot net     7000,7001,7002,7003 dalnet

>     After connecting to centurion.daldot net, you'll need to enter the
>     IRC command for joining a chat session: /join #namn
>     The "#namn" is the name of our meteor chat session. Good luck,
>     and we look forward to "seeing" you on the "#namn channel"!

The same thing should work from any DALnet server. One more advice: if you
can, get connected to centurion.daldot net all together and you will find less
interruptions in the talk and less unexplained logouts.

Hope this helps

Jean-Christophe 'Papou' Millot
from Noumea - New Caledonia (22d16 S, 166d27E) UT+11
email : papou@canl.nc
home page : http://www.chez.com/papou