[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #501

Franklin and Sirko wrote:

> Hi Franklin,
>
> > The IMO has a program to measure meteors and one
> > of the inputs is a windows video format AVI.
>
> right. That's the AstroRecord software of Marc de Lignie. He worte this
> program first hand for measuring photographs from Kodak Photo-CD, but
> later extended it for video observations. It is directly available from
> IMO's website at http://www.imodot net/photo/photsoft.html
> I don't want to say more here, since the programmer himself is also an
> active meteorobs subscriber. Just ask him directly if you have any
> specific questions. :-)

Yes, that's true, although is get the digest version in a slightly delayed
fashion.

> > I have
> > looked at all the documentation I have and noone
> > says anything about how one makes a AVI file from
> > a video tape.  Can someone advise me on how that
> > can be done.
>
> I had the same problem some time ago. There are some utility programs in
> the public domain (or shareware) that can create AVIs from series of
> single images and vice versa. I'm not completely sure, but I think the
> 'Video for Windows' software has that feature, too! Unfortunately I
> cannot recall where I got the VfW package from. :-\
> Maybe directly form the homepage of Microsoft?

Most modern frame grabbers for PCs directly support the AVI format. Sirko
is right that there was a very small program in the Video for Windows
developer's kit that could glue a series of *.BMP images into a single AVI
file. I remember it was a command line program with little or no
documentation. I'll send it to you outside this mail list.

Succes,

Marc