[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Question

Kevin opined:
>I'd never be the one to discourage someone but how discouraging is it to
>sit
>there as a brand new observer  for a few early evening hours and see one
>or
>even worse - see nothing.

Very true. I whine like a baby when I only see 4 an hour...and that 67
minutes with nothin' is a real challenge. All the more reason to appreciate
those who do it if that is their only opportunity. It is a great time to
become very intimate with the sky; to appreciate the motion of the stars on
their way around polaris (or that dark spot down south of the equator :->),
to learn the constellations, to bask in the glow of the Milky Way, to.....
...well you get the idea

>I would try and make a deal w/ my parents if I was
>a youngster that if I got all my homework done, cleaned my room
>(whatever),
> and took a nap on a Friday in exchange to Observe for an hour or so
>around
>midnight, even if it means just once a month with a short drive to a
>darker
>site.

An excellent suggestion! That 1 hour a month would be a real highlight, and
a chance to get to see some real action.

WWW