[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Early Evening Observing

In a message dated 97-08-26 14:19:54 EDT, George writes:

<< So...I guess I can expect to see a flood of meteor reports posted
 here? I look forward to seeing them. >>

You won't see any early evening ones from me George.  I did that when I first
started out, and I was bored out of my mind. I'm just not willing to waste my
time and film like that.

Is there any real benefit from sending in a report with 3 or 4 meteors on it
with a sky brighter than +5?  True, it's 3 or 4 more meteors added to the
database - but whats the REAL benefit? Wouldn't we be telling proto-observers
that this is all a waste of time to sit out in the cold for 4 hours and see
three or four meteors and then expect them to get excited about it? I'm just
not getting it. This is the only part of astronomy that I've been involved
with where the "rules" keep changing. All the books, magazine articles,
reports (and during Shower times - TV commentators) keep saying "after
midnight, after midnight." I just don't get it.

Jon, I just don't know what to say anymore. I remember when I was younger and
I had rules and curfews to abide by, but...

Kevin