[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Early Evening Observing

Kevin notes:

>Is there any real benefit from sending in a report with 3 or 4 meteors on it
>with a sky brighter than +5?  True, it's 3 or 4 more meteors added to the
>database - but whats the REAL benefit? Wouldn't we be telling proto-observers
>that this is all a waste of time to sit out in the cold for 4 hours and see
>three or four meteors and then expect them to get excited about it? I'm just
>not getting it. This is the only part of astronomy that I've been involved
>with where the "rules" keep changing. All the books, magazine articles,
>reports (and during Shower times - TV commentators) keep saying "after
>midnight, after midnight." I just don't get it.

Hi Kevin,

Is the lack of benefit due to seeing 3 or 4 meteors....or the poor LM?

Many of the books, articles, etc. where they mention "after midnight, after
midnight" are responding to a question or discussion concerning when is the
"BEST" time to observe. "Best" is not the same as "only".....

Clear skies!

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO Meteors Section
NAMN home page:
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html