[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Astronomy vs. TV

Hi, Jonathan:

>This was someone who LOVED astronomy 5 years ago, and now he is
>completely ignorant to it.  He tells me that he watches 15-30 hours of
>television every week, while I watch 4-6 hours per week.  He says that
>space exploration is boring.  Since when was exploration boring?

It's easy to lose interest and become assimilated by the TV Borg.  TV
offers an escape from reality.  Unfortunately, some people choose to
live in pixel land, rather than experience life.  My guess is that, if
your friend was interested in astronomy at all in the past, then it
would probably take very little to get him interested in it again.  He
has simply forgotten how beautiful the night sky is.  I suggest
convincing him to spend at least a couple of hours of just looking at
the sky one night during an active meteor shower.  Observe from the
darkest spot you can find.  Be sure to make it comfortable by setting up
lawn chairs and having something to eat and drink.  Maybe, you can even
plan a camping trip or something, or maybe just camp out in your own
backyard.  It's worth a shot.

Steve Sutton

 * SLMR 2.1a * "It's a cookbook!" - Twilight Zone