[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Light Pollution Answer

Hi Conrad,

There is an international organization dedicated to reducing and
controlling light pollution, called the International Darksky Association.
They can be located at:

Most RASC (Canadian)astronomy cenntres and many US astronomy clubs have
active IDA members and committees who are constantly lobbying local
governments, civil engineers, archictects and environmental groups to do
something about LP and to hopefully pass LP bylaws in their city, province
or state.  This is a constant battle, and we work hard to make small
gains in competition with mostly irresponsible business owners and
governments who just don't seem to take the time to understnd or care
(although in every case we can show them how to improve lighting and
save money! - often enormous amounts of money!.  More info about LP bylaws
in your state can be found by contacting the IDA and asking  them about
progress in your area.

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:49:40 EDT Conrad W Humphrey <donwon1@juno.com>
wrote:

> Hi Lew,
>          I wanted to know are there any light pollution laws or are there
> any amateur astronomers trying to do something about this?
>
> Clear skies,
> Conrad W. Humphrey (Amateur Astronomer)
> Donwon1@juno.com
> 40deg 43' 45" N   73deg 59' 43" W