[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) First time observations

Hello,
    This is my first time posting on this board but I've been subscribed for
about a month, now.  I've spent the last month becoming familiar with
observing meteors and recording them for later submition, but I don't feel
I'm quite there to submit them officially.  However, I've enclosed the report
for the night of August 29/30 which was a pretty good night, although I was
only out for about an hour.  If someone could look at this report and see if
there's anything I should include, something I shouldn't have included or
even if I'm using the wrong report, can you let me know.  I've always had fun
watching meteors and would like to help out in tracking them and learning
more about them.  Thanks for any help anyone can give.

cul8r
tim
-------------
A.L.P.O. Visual Meteor Observing Report
OBSERVER:  Timothy P. Trice
PLACE:   Patuxent River, Maryland 20670
DATE:  1997 (year)  08 (month)  29/30 (day)
OBSERVING PERIOD:  Begin: 07h 28m; End: 08h 29m (time used=GMT)
LOCATION: Long.= 76.25; Lat.=38.18  ; Elevation = sea level
PERCENT CLOUDY:     0% @ 07:28-08:29
DIRECTION FACING and ALTITUDE:     NE @ 07:28-08:29
LIMITING MAGNITUDE:  6.5
BREAKS:  No breaks were taken.
COMMENTS: Focused attention mainly towards Perseus and Taurus.  Saw many
meteors out of Cyngus
and Pisces.  A couple came out of Orion and one out of Gemini.  Total for the
night was around
10, but noticed about five or six out of the corner of my eyes but didn't
count them.

Number Time    Mag   Type   Color   Speed   Train    Comments

    01     07:33     5      PER     red       4         no     Length of
trail, 10 deg
    02     07:35    -1      SPO     ora       5         no     Appeared out
of Gemini (Castor to Pollux)
    03     07:44     3      PER     ora       2         no
    04     07:50    0.5    SPO     whi       ?         no     Point meteor,
lasted for 1/2 second
    05     07:56    0.5    SPO     ora       1         yes
    06     08:02    -3      SPO     ora       5         no     Came out of
Orion
    07     08:02     2      SPO     ora       4         no     Number 07 and
08 ran parallel towards the east, separated

                                                                           by
about 1 1/2 degrees
    08     08:02    2.5    SPO     ora       4         no
    09     08:09      1     PER     whi       1         no
    10     08:18      2     SPO     ora       5         no
    11     08:19      5     SPO     red       3         yes
    12     08:24      0     PER     ora       5         yes